Sunday, July 18, 2004

Do not take your throat for granted

Ok, so I'm obsessing about this throat infection. 3 entire blogs about it? You'd think it must be some major event - but while I'm recuperating, what else do I have to do other than write blogs about my throat? (because, of course, normally my social calendar would just be sooo full of things to do) Maybe this is why older people seem to just sit around and talk about their doctors visits.

The doc changed my antibiotic today - the other one created some gastrointestinal side effects (or GI effects, as the insiders call 'em) for me that were too bothersome to ignore. So far nothing has gone wrong with my new one - I just have to avoid direct sunlight for 10 days. Thank goodness the trip to Hawaii isn't coming up sooner!

My throat, and my health more generally, is something I certainly take for granted. I'm supposed to drink plenty of fluids, and down a whole glass of water with my new pill, and of course I'm supposed to eat now and then, but I've become swallow-phobic. I literally am afraid to swallow - I just let the saliva build up and build up in my mouth until it's ready to burst out like some horrific sewage spill. Then I tense up my entire body and try and get it down. I bought some soup at the supermarket, thinking that would be easiest to get down, plus some grapes that I froze and sucked on for a while.

I just took my drug cocktail of the antibiotic, 2 Tylenol, and 5 sprays of Chloraseptic. And now I go to sleep. My summer school students anxiously await my presence tomorrow morning - though I'm not sure I'll be able to speak and/or walk. Should be interesting!

1 Comments:

At 7/19/2004 9:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay home for a day.

M

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home