Saturday, July 17, 2004

The diagnosis

Waiting for it to go away is bad advice.

Let me offer some good advice to those of you finding this page by doing a search for "swollen uvula."

1. Is your throat "red and angry" (the words used by my doctor)?
2. Do you have a fever of 101ยบ or higher?
3. Do you have swollen glands?

If you answered yes to these three questions, you likely have an infection, like me. The only question now is whether it's viral or bacterial. Whatever it is, it's attacked me in blitzkrieg-like fashion - the minor discomfort I felt around midnight last night turned into agony within just 5 hours. He's put me on an antibiotic for now, in case it's bacterial, but also took a swab of the area (it was bloody! yuck!) for further lab analysis.

I should give maximum kudos to Mark for helping me out on this one. My throat too sore and my uvula too enlarged to speak with any sense of comfort, Mark was the Voice of Darron (LOTR reference) on the phone with the advice nurse, even though he was pressed for time to get to his teaching job. During the phone conversation, he felt my forehead and declared me "hot." That Mark - always trying to set me up with the ladies. THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY LIFE, MARK!

Miraculously, they scheduled an appointment for me in the emergency room just 45 minutes later and I managed not to pass out from pain or exhaustion as I waited in stop and go traffic for 30 minutes to cross the San Mateo Bridge.

And so the long wait begins. He told me not to expect instant relief - so I bought Chloraseptic and Tylenol to hold me over until the turn of the tide (LOTR reference #2). Unfortunately, the doctor's antibiotic of choice is notorious for creating an upset stomach, so I bought a cool large chocolate shake at McDonald's to wash it down.

Lesson learned: Waiting to get better is a stupid guy thing to do. Don't be a stupid guy.

5 Comments:

At 7/17/2004 7:31 PM , Blogger Alison said...

Feel better Darron:)

 
At 7/17/2004 8:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you feel better. If you die, can I have your computer?

Mark

 
At 7/18/2004 7:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am shocked and terribly hurt to learn that you turned to Mark in your desperate hour of need for medical advice and tender loving care. I spent eighteen years (December 1975 - June 1994) seeing to your every need because I loved you unconditionally, and now that you are older and wiser you have tossed me aside just like the Snoopy dog you once adored! Unfortunately, the pain and agony I am feeling cannot be cured by a doctor's prescription. I have joined Snoopy in the box hidden away in the closet in the hopes that someday you will remember us! The two of us will always love you . . .

 
At 7/18/2004 7:47 PM , Blogger prez said...

Mom, you were the best caregiver I've ever had. Many times I've referenced your "magic wand" quote when tending to a hurt student: "My mom always used to tell me, 'Darron, I wish I had a magic wand and I could make you feel better.'"

So don't worry - you're still #1 on my list. I turned to Mark mostly out of convenience and also because I felt like I was going to die.

I also want to clarify that I did not receive any "tender loving care" from Mark, not that there's anything wrong with that.

 
At 8/08/2012 9:01 PM , Blogger Mark said...

Liar.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home