Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I get an F?

So I'm at school right now, about a quarter to 11 at night, doing report card comments. Only 21 students so it ought to be easy enough and not take too much time, right? Well, in theory, yes, but nearly all of them I have to write in Spanish and trying to be both insightful and bilingual when you're exhausted ain't so easy.

If on my own report card was a section for "Regular bloggin'" I might receive an F. Seriously, when I first started this thing, I was writing day after day (that lasted about a week or so). But I've since lost my home internet connection, and haven't had time to get a new one, so my opportunities are limited. Right now I'm just procrastinating. Thus, a blog is born.

Only 3 more school days left. The thing about the end of a school year is that you're too tired to really enjoy it. For example, my list of things to do in the last two weeks has included the aforementioned report cards, planning for our class pool party, planning the 5th grade field trip to Santa Cruz, filling out the pink and blue student info sheets for my student's teachers next year, making next year's class lists, filling out the permanent record cards (yes, there is such a thing as your permanent record; permanent? no, but they do get held on to for something like 50 years, with all your state test scores, all the schools you've been to, your class photos, and such), getting ready for the DARE graduation, getting ready for our 5th grade graduation, planning the First Annual Rm. 41 Chess Tournament, meeting with the subcommittee of our governing board on policy and procedures for director evaluations, meeting with the school subcommittee on retention and interventions, and of course on top of all that was the usual planning, teaching, assessments, monitoring meetings with the director, etc.

I'm too emotionally drained to express much of the appreciation I normally feel for my parting colleagues (we're losing a lot of really good teachers this year). I've got to save my emotional energy for my students. Still so much to do tonight and the next two nights before the year is out. So maybe I should stop writing here then? Ok.

2 Comments:

At 6/23/2004 1:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop whining...and stop going to pool parties you perv.

 
At 6/23/2004 2:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure which is the worst...preparing for the begining of School, or the final week! both are draining. just a couple of days left.. so Just keep thinking Hawaii... Hawaii.
It's obvious that the first person to comment..has NEVER taught school.

texaslady

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home