Saturday, January 17, 2009

Academic Discourse: Supporting English Language Learners with Rigor

This is the first semester project presentation I gave for LMU's Charter School Leadership Academy in December. 5 seconds per slide--use the pause button if you need it! WIthout my explanations, some things may be a bit confusing (especially the Halloween pics), but I think you'll get the idea.

The point was to increase rigor and to increase support for ELLs at the same time.

Many thanks to the research of Dr. Kate Kinsella at San Francisco State for informing and inspiring this project.

2 Comments:

At 1/18/2009 10:24 AM , Blogger Mark said...

Kinsella is quite good...I agree.

I have been teaching academic discourse in ESOL speaking and listening for a few years now...but I am thinking about expanding into developmental English, too. I don't think it is just for ESLers...but for native speakers...because they are actively disengaged so often.

I think we should really have our classes meet. The issues you are having in your classes are the same I have in mine...IN COLLEGE. We could produce a pretty interesting research project on it, I'm sure.

 
At 1/19/2009 5:47 PM , Blogger Mark said...

That is one idea...

hahahahahah

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home