Saturday, January 03, 2009

Buried Treasure

In my dad's closet, behind an inordinately large amount of Christmas decorations, was a box or two or three of old slides from the 70's, photos taken by my grandpa (Andy, not Darron) that had not been seen, I would guess, in at least twenty-five years.

Inspired, my dad took them in to be digitally scanned and put on CDs, and we got them as Christmas presents! Not knowing what to expect, we gathered around my mom's TV (hey, her DVD player can do photo CDs!) and the slideshow began. We were transported back to a time long past, of my mom's trip to Europe as a teenager, of my dad's sideburns, of embarrassingly short shorts.

Here are some of my favorites:


This is Shari as a mustachioed pirate. Her left fist is especially menacing, as are the two strips of tape holding her mustache up.


In many of the photos, like this one, I was crying. Shari, as always, was smiling.


Apparently, when crying, the most effective remedy was to give me food. Specifically, a cracker. More specifically, a saltine cracker. Could this be the origin of the pejorative term for white people???


Funny how so much in life is just one big circle. I imagine that this is exactly how I'll look in about ten years.


Awww, I just really liked this one. Mom hasn't been able to pick me up in a long, long time. But I sure did enjoy it!


My penchant for striped shirts had its beginnings long ago.


And a sweet end. This is, perhaps, the earliest photographic evidence of the famous "retarDarron" phenomenon.

11 Comments:

At 1/04/2009 11:17 AM , Blogger Mark said...

These were great. I still have to ask my mom if she still has our old slides.

 
At 1/04/2009 12:04 PM , Blogger Mark said...

By the way, are you going to post more of the pics on prez2012????

 
At 1/04/2009 10:17 PM , Blogger prez said...

You want more?

 
At 1/04/2009 10:40 PM , Blogger prez said...

By the way, is the formatting messed up on anybody else's computer? I can see it perfectly using Internet Explorer on my work PC, but on Pam's Mac laptop and when I use Firefox, the spacing is all messed up.

 
At 1/05/2009 9:30 AM , Blogger Mark said...

More, please.

And they look fine on my computer.

 
At 1/05/2009 8:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked the pictures Darron. They bring back alot of good memories to me.
Dad

 
At 1/06/2009 11:55 AM , Blogger jc said...

Cute photos! The formatting is messed up on my PC running Firefox.

 
At 1/09/2009 11:15 AM , Blogger Nancy said...

No comment on your cracker hypothesis.

 
At 1/17/2009 7:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am curious about the "retarDarron" phrase..... and so is Mom. Please tell us more about that one cuz if we started that we don't rememmber!!

And thanks for putting up my pirate photo....LOL

Big Sis

 
At 1/18/2009 12:13 PM , Blogger prez said...

I'm guessing that they only look ok on Internet Explorer. Too bad.

"Retardarron" alludes to the FACT that in approximately 70% of all pictures that I take, I look absolutely, well, retarded.

 
At 2/01/2009 7:37 AM , Blogger Mark said...

More pics, please.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home