Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Un rayo de sol


So, I was right.

Suspect #1 was turned in today... by HIS BROTHER! That, admittedly, I didn't see coming.

Interestingly, however, he continued to deny it. I can't say I'm super surprised by the denial. He had already told us he didn't do it. So when surrounded by me, the principal, the dean of students, and his mother, he was backed into a corner. I've seen this from him before. For example, last week he turned off the lights in the bathroom during our bathroom break. I asked the boys who turned the lights out. Several boys said it was him. Even one of his best friends said it was him. But he continued to say it wasn't, with a mischievous smile on his face. The same smile he had on his face when he said it wasn't him who wrote "F**K MR. EVANS" on his tablemate's progress report even though the writing looked just like his and he tried to erase it later. The same smile he had on his face when I sent him to the office for calling me a "pinche pendejo" in class.

Today, however, there was no smile on his face, only tears as he vehemently denied any culpability, claiming his little brother was only trying to get back at him for not letting him watch TV. Mom, meanwhile, goes off on how this boy, Suspect #1, is the saint of the family, the champion, the one with all the smarts, the one whom they've invested all hope in, and she believes him, not his lying little brother (her words, not mine).

But get this... that's not even the most shocking part.

As we're having this conversation, my principal states OVER AND OVER AGAIN that, while the decision regarding whether or not he gets to stay at our school is up to her (she ultimately decided to disenroll him, not expel him), the decision to pursue criminal charges is solely up to me. This prompts mom to go on some incoherent tirade about how her husband can take some gasoline and rub out the scratches and (motioning with her hand as if she has an invisible paint brush) just paint right over it. My principal continues to say over and over again, "It's up to Mr. Evans to pursue the matter further with the police or not."

I was astounded. Even if it is up to me, do we have to lay it all on my shoulders in front of the kid and his mom? And why should it be up to me anyway? We have knowledge that one of our students committed a crime - but we're not going to call the police?!? It's up to ME?!? AND he's lying about it to all of our faces. So guess what lesson Suspect #1 learns from that.

It would appear that, after further investigation, my school is not going to pursue charges, thus actually leaving it up to me whether or not the legal case moves forward. If I do nothing, he simply changes schools and goes on with his life. He's committed a crime, lied about it, and is told to leave schools. No expulsion, nothing on his record. The damages, I've found out, will be covered by my school's insurance, so no harm to me.

But if I do decide to press charges with the police, then that sets a whole other set of wheels in motion with consequences I am not yet clear on. Would he go to juvenile hall? Would his family receive extra support services? I'm going to inquire and find out, but I don't know yet.

So what do I do? If you were me, what would YOU do?

And, in case you're wondering, no, I didn't tell my principal "I told you so" - but I sure wanted to.

7 Comments:

At 9/26/2007 3:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would bet he was not the only one. I would like to know like you what other wheels get set in motion if you press charges. Is he the one that gave you that look as he walked by you? I would say the other boys in your class MUST see there are consequences for bad behavior.Get all the facts and I think it will be easy to know what to do.

 
At 9/26/2007 7:27 AM , Blogger Mark said...

I think you should move to San Diego.

 
At 9/30/2007 5:56 PM , Blogger prez said...

Lest you forget, my "welcome" to San Diego was my car being towed from your parking lot...

 
At 10/03/2007 8:16 PM , Blogger Mark said...

I pretty much only remember David being naked from that weekend.

 
At 10/06/2007 10:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say let the police handle it, he sounds like a total loser and deserves whatever punishment he gets.

Big Sis

 
At 10/12/2007 12:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlike the previous question on which route the principal would take... he's a principal, thus not 'tough' on crime thus option 1 was obvious.

Now however he's put you in a total bind...
1. You call the police - the police investigate and while you might 'know' the reality is you don't have proof. Hearsay for most, none of which is admissible, no fingerprints by now nothing that would prevent him from claiming older members of his gang (sorry, youth organization) did it. At the same time you have a minor victory in that he is no longer in your school - lose the case and there is no justification for keeping him away. Plus win or lose get the police involved and all the associated revenge paths. Finally don't you remember being young and stupid? Are you trying to extract a pound of flesh and ruin his life or teach him a lesson? Which brings you to:
#2. Do nothing, accept that at this point you probably get much better in terms of results, let his cohorts go with at least the lesson that something un-pleasant came of it and hope that you've managed to imprint the correct lesson - perhaps not at the 'hang em high' level of impact on them. But maybe enough to orient them toward a more positive future. Of course in two weeks the primary instigator/culprit might still not be in a new school and instead be driving by vandalizing your car again...
At this point I'd have to say I'd take the dismissal of the student trouble maker as a victory, let the cohorts know that you have an eye on them because of what you learned but couldn't prove and go with it from there.

BTW you should probably take pity on his younger brother who undoubtedly got his butt kicked severly.

 
At 10/16/2007 5:41 PM , Blogger Maccerz said...

There is a special place in hell for people who vandalize cars. However, if you let him get away with it this time there really will be no lesson learned. Today it's vandalizing cars. Tomorrow it could be vandalizing... other cars.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home