Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Isolation


It's past 2 am and I'm sick. I took a 6 hour nap this afternoon/evening, and I've sneezed and/or blown about half of my body weight out my nose since then, and so the natural thing to do is blog!

We're going to Outdoor Ed the first week of March. Outdoor Ed is a week long science camp that kids in California go through (for me, I did it in 6th grade, but in San Mateo County, the program is generally for 5th graders). The kids stay in cabins, go hiking in the woods, explore the beaches and tide pools, etc. -- all that good stuff that makes being a kid fun and that we look back on, nostalgically, for the rest of our lives. I remember, for example, that I danced with a girl for the first time at Outdoor Ed. It was a square dance, and she was Danielle Knoop. I also remember that Josh Rubel, on his way back from the bathrooms one night, got lost, went into the wrong cabin, and "accidentally" got into bed with some other kid. Good times, good times.

Ok, back to the present.

When we go to Outdoor Ed, we go with one or two other schools from San Mateo County. Usually, the schools we go with are vastly different from ours. We are certainly on one extreme side of the spectrum. Our school is 94% Latino, over 90% qualify for free or reduced lunch (an indicator of poverty), about 85% are classified as English Language Learners, etc. There are, of course, schools in San Mateo County on the other side of that spectrum - vastly white, very low percentages of students in poverty, very few English Language Learners. Outdoor Ed gives our students an opportunity to have interactions with kids of very different backgrounds and experiences.

What happens when you put these two very different groups of kids together? Well, generally, it's a very positive thing. The kids get to know each other, become friends, and, for a week at least, Dr. King's dream of kids of all colors going to school together is a reality.

But there are challenges. Inevitably, when our kids speak to each other in Spanish, kids from the other schools assume the Garfield kids are saying bad things about them (granted, sometimes they are! our kids figure out pretty quickly that knowing a language other people don't know can have some mischievous benefits, but usually it's completely innocent). Also, some of our kids lack the more subtle language adults employ when we navigate multiracial waters, like the time last year when D. got mad at another boy and called him a "stupid little China boy." Often, the worst problems are caused by the adults. Last year, for example, a teacher from another school punished one of our kids for speaking Spanish at the dinner table. Yikes!

It makes for an interesting sociological experiment. In preparing for Outdoor Ed this year, we've had several class discussions about it. A lot of enlightening information has come out of those conversations. For example, about half of my kids shared negative experiences they've had with white kids, mostly because the kid was just annoying but a few were the result of blatant racism. Nearly all of my kids have had ZERO experience with Asian or black kids. When I asked them what they imagined the kids at the other schools were like, many said things such as "I imagine the other kids are smarter than us" and "Since there's a lot of white kids at that school, they probably behave better than us." Even this one from A.: "I imagine they dress a lot different from us." I told her they're from Belmont, not a foreign country. All these discussions led to other discussions as we've tried to explore these complex issues.

I understand there's at least two schools of thought on this. On the one hand, knowing that the other schools we're going with are very different than Garfield, I could have just said nothing about it and let what happens happen once we get there. On the other hand, which is the hand I chose, I could let the kids know and try to use that information as a way to discuss stereotypes, prejudice, racism, and encourage the kids to really reflect on their attitudes and experiences.

Was I right or was I wrong? By discussing it have I heightened their racial sensitivities, thus exacerbating the problem? Or have I given them a way to think about things so that when issues do arise (and they always do) they'll have a way a constructive way to deal with it?

Regardless, you have to raise your eyebrows at least a little bit knowing that our segregated and isolated neighborhoods and public school systems have created kids like mine that think all Asian people are Chinese, that all black people play basketball and/or are criminals, that American is synonymous with white, and that at least 75% of the United States is Latino.

4 Comments:

At 2/07/2007 11:54 AM , Blogger Nancy said...

Darron, it is hard to say which is the better protocol, to talk about it before or let it unfold naturally.

My guess is the teachers from the "privileged" school don't bother talking to their students about how to meet and interact with someone who is different. So, you are doing a good thing!

The onus is on the different ones (us minorities) to figure out how to navigate in this majority culture. At least, that was my experience.

I'll never forget the day in college when a corn fed Indiana boy told me I was the first friend he ever had who wasn't white. What took him so long?

I hope you feel better soon.

 
At 2/08/2007 3:53 PM , Blogger FFB4MD said...

It seems like your kids already perceive racial differences, however inaccurate, so I don't think you spoiled the novelty of the concept by discussing it. You just nudged them toward reality, which I think was the right thing to do. And I think we could all learn to adapt our behavior and language in context-appropriate ways. How could anyone expect your kids to know that others who don't speak their language might have hurt feelings if linguistically excluded from the conversation, unless they were told so? It's always good for anyone to practice how to behave and have an understanding of what to expect when going into a new social context anway.

 
At 2/12/2007 6:27 PM , Blogger Mark said...

Danielle Knoop and Clemens. Nice sloppy seconds.

 
At 2/12/2007 7:54 PM , Blogger prez said...

The real reason I wrote this blog is because I want prez2012.com to be the #1 search result for Danielle Knoop!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home