Thursday, January 19, 2006

Am I living it right?

To answer the question from my previous blog, I would say yes.

In The Alchemist, a book Mar, my teaching partner, gave me for my birthday in December, the shepherd boy realizes it's taken him a couple of years to move just a measly few hours towards his goal of getting to the pyramids of Egypt. But rather than lament the fact, he rejoices in the fact that he is, after all, closer than he was previously, and he learned a lot of things along the way that he wouldn't have learned otherwise. And, he figured, those lessons would probably come in handy.

I'm in the middle of my sixth year of teaching. And while most of that time has had nothing directly to do with my political goals, I don't feel like I'm off track. What I've learned through my teaching experiences will be useful in my political career - I'm sure of it.

For a random closing, here's a couple of things you don't hear about anymore:
* VCR plus
* The Club

And, I think this may be true about teaching:
An indicator of whether or not your colleagues think you're a good teacher is if they feel comfortable telling you how bad they think some of your colleagues are.

1 Comments:

At 1/19/2006 12:27 PM , Blogger Mark said...

The Alchemist is one of my favorite books...and I actually got departmental permission to use it in my English 110 class next semester.

FUN!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home