Tuesday, August 15, 2006

YES!!!

My heart is pounding! I'm in near disbelief! My kids rocked the state exam! I mean, I knew they would do well, better than any group I've ever had, but these results are even beyond what I was hoping for!

The state released test score data today (http://star.cde.ca.gov). I don't know anything yet about whether or not we met our API or AYP (have I explained what those are in previous blogs?), but in just a quick perusal of the data, our 5th graders did better this year than any other Garfield 5th grade group has done before.

* 34% of our 5th grade students scored at Proficient or Advanced in English language arts (when they were in 4th grade, only 28% did; only 20% of last year's 5th grade students were Proficient or Advanced). This is the best percentage in our entire school.

* 57% of our 5th graders scored Proficient or Advanced in math (when they were in 4th grade, 36% of them did; 43% of last year's 5th grade students were Proficient or Advanced). This is also the best percentage in our school AND it's better than the district and state averages! 37% scored Advanced, which is unheard of - the district average was just 24%.

Compared to other schools in our district with similar student populations, my kids kicked butt!

Why am I so excited? A lot of teachers despise these tests. I am a critic, but I do believe they have value in measuring and comparing real learning between schools. It's the only objective measuring stick I have to see how my kids are doing compared to kids in other schools, and my kids did great!

2 Comments:

At 8/15/2006 6:29 PM , Blogger Mark said...

Nice job, yo.

 
At 8/16/2006 7:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Darron! I know that the kids did most of the work and they probably are proud as "all getout" (an expression from the 60's)! But without guidance, coaching and direction, they would probably still be hoping to achieve last years scores. Congratulations to you and your kids.
HH

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home