Tuesday, May 30, 2006

"You know America, I like you."

One of my students, I.V., brought this in this morning and I felt compelled to share it. She walked in and immediately said, "I wrote something." She had gone to the beach with her family and on the way there saw people working in the fields picking vegetables. What she saw simply inspired her to write. I was moved by it, and asked her to read it to the class. She did, her eyes becoming glassy and her voice catching just the slightest bit as she made her way to the end. Sometimes my students write the most profound things - the unique syntax of English language learners makes it all the more arresting.

You know America, I like you. Because you have stunning places. But there are people that don't appreciate for the people that broke their backs! For doing beautiful places like those. I hope that people that don't appreciate those people could go and see those people in the fields that die for making those delicious salads. But I would love you America so you could hear that anger I have for you. You don't have the face to come and give those people a little "push" so they won't be so below. This is what I think and I hope you think the same thing.

1 Comments:

At 5/31/2006 10:55 PM , Blogger Mark said...

People take on interesting pseudonyms...but Darron...come on...a fifth-grade Latina girl. That is a little twisted.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home